Umdoni is the local Xhosa name for the evergreen and exotic Syzygium Cordatum tree, as seen in Umdoni Down's logo. This tree boasts numerous fragrant white-to-pink fluffy stamens that produce abundant nectar in spring for the birdlife and insects in the immediate area. The tree changes character in autumn, where the plentiful clusters of water-berries can be seen.
Umdoni Downs is found along the Eastern Cape's Sunshine coast, in the growing residential and holiday town of Port Alfred. The estate is divided into 56 prime sea view plots that surround a central private parkland that boasts indigenous trees and shrubs.
There is a single entrance and gateway for enhanced security.
Easy access to the main road to Port Elizabeth and East London.
Near-by restaurants and bars, and golf courses - Royal Port Alfred and Fish River Sun.
Downtown, the Rosehill Mall, and the beaches are just a 5-minute drive away.
Our property is located in the central ring of the estate, at numbers 51/52, overlooking the abundant vegetation of the area and the ocean. It has access on one side to the residential road and on the other to the common green area. The house, of solid construction and very generous spaces, with braai facilities, is surrounded by a large garden with flowers, bushes and trees. The ideal place for spending time in tranquillity, by yourself, with relatives, friends and… dogs.
What can you do in Port Alfred
- Enjoy the beautiful natural landscape with ocean view.
- Listen to the sound of the happy birds living free in this area.
- Go for a river cruise on the Kowie, the Kariega, or the Boesmansriver.
- Go for a really long walk along all the different beaches.
- Go on a horseback ride at Three Sisters or Beachcombers
- Visit the Addo National Elephant Park (my favourite).
- Visit the Great Fish Point Lighthouse.
- The year-long moderate weather allows for various outdoor activities such as: sea angling, canoeing, river fishing, surfing, water skiing, hiking, horse-riding, and whale watching.
What can you expect
- No traffic jams.
- Friendly people.
- Premium class services.
- Abundant nature, animals, birds ...
Other local and surrounding attractions:
- South Africa's renowned game reserves – Shamwari, Addo, Kwandwe, Sibuya, Kariega, and some others are just a scenic drive away.
- Two major cities with plenty of shopping opportunities – Port Elizabeth and East London are less than two hours away.
- A visit to the Big Pineapple in Bathurst - the biggest on the planet.
- The annual Bathurst agricultural show.
- The Grahamstown National Arts festival - held on an annual basis.
- Near-by location to Kenton-on-sea, Kasouga, Bushman's river, Cannon rocks, Boknes, Alexandria, and Kleinemonde.